Angela

Angela

Friday, January 30, 2009

HOLD YOUR HORSES! ANGELA GETS MIRACLE LETTER TODAY!

I came home today after a 36-mile leisurely ride along the San Francisco Bay waterfront and got a call from Angela. She said she was "sipping champagne". I knew she was a wine afficionado, so didn't think much of it and just said "Oh?" and then waited. She then said, "We got a letter today from Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS), and they are going to completely cover my liver transplant operation!" Unbelieveable!

I thought it had been two appeals that they'd presented to the insurance company over the last year or so, but it had been four. Remember when Angela said not to underestimate her? Well, after being denied so many times about something they thought BCBS should cover, she and her husband, James, decided to begin the legal process. Once BCBS received notification of their intent to sue and a request to unearth Angela's medical records, it was obvious BCBS gave it more serious consideration. Furthermore, Angela and James had contacted the Attorney General's Office of the State of New York, to request they look further into the matter. It's believed that some pressure was placed on BCBS and this partially caused their reconsideration.

So, without having to worry about the financial burden, Angela will receive her liver transplant after all! She currently has two potential donors identified, and one will be undergoing a series of tests (CT scans, MRI, blood work etc.) within the next couple of weeks. We don't know when the operation will take place, but things are looking up -- WAY UP -- for Angela and her family! As her doctors have already told her, "We're half-way there."

So, what will happen with donations submitted by all the "Angels 4 Angela"? We will contact Technology Credit Union very soon to capture the information we will need to reimburse every contributor.

I believe it's important for everyone who contributed to know how deeply we appreciate their generosity. It is because of you that Angela and her family have been able to keep their spirits high and motivation going.

So with this, I will end my blog for today, rejoicing that Angela will have a solid chance for long-term survival. And I also rejoice in all the wonderful words of inspiration and encouragement from friends and colleagues who have supported me in this effort. I'll continue to ride, and maybe even keep my goals in place for 2009. One of them, the most important one, will have been achieved, and that is -- Angela will get her transplant!

I will update this blogsite throughout 2009 when I have any important messages to convey about Angela, and maybe a few words about any riding challenges I will have experienced. You can assume I'll continue to keep my you-know-what in the saddle if for no other reason now than I love to ride!

Thank you all for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment